Editing can make your sentences beautiful, but it can’t fix a flawed story. When your novel has been alive in your head for so long you can’t see the woods for the trees, you need expert analysis and unbiased guidance.
A solid foundation
No amount of proofreading or copy-editing can fix a book if it is flawed at a deeper level. Great books have solid foundations: imaginative and focused stories, carefully structured plots, deeply crafted characters and well-paced scenes. Whether you’re planning to self-publish or send your manuscript to agents, you need to be completely happy with the story you’ve written.
An honest appraisal
A manuscript critique gives you a professional, honest insight into your novel – what works, what doesn’t and suggestions on how to improve it. Though I always treat your writing with sensitivity, I don’t hold back on the criticism (otherwise, what’s the point?). With my feedback, you’ll be able to develop your book and get a better idea of how readers will receive it. ‘But my mum loved it’ won’t cut it in the real world!
Improve your future books
Even the most accomplished writers know there is always more to learn. Every book poses new challenges and new opportunities to hone your craft. And every book is a learning opportunity. With a manuscript critique, you’ll not only learn how to improve your current book, but you’ll gain a deeper understanding of your personal writing process and your knowledge and pitfalls, so you can apply what you learn to all your future novels.
HOW IT WORKS:
- You email me and let me know you’re interested in a critique. Let me know the genre and word count.
- Once we’ve agreed on a timeframe for the work, I’ll send you an invoice for the 50% deposit and a questionnaire for you to fill out so I can get to know your book and writing aims a little better. Your place in my schedule is locked in as soon as the deposit is paid.
- You send me the full manuscript (and completed questionnaire) before the project start date.
- I go away and carefully analyse your novel. If I have any questions, I’ll email you.
- Once I finish writing your critique, I email it to you along with the invoice for the remaining fee.
WHAT YOU GET:
I will carefully read your manuscript and provide you with a thoughtful overall assessment of your novel. This will be presented as an editorial report, a PDF normally between 10–20 pages, in which I highlight any major issues and suggest how you can improve your story. You’ll gain a new perspective on your work and the confidence that comes in knowing what works and what you need to do to make your book even better.
- Manuscripts up to 80k words: £499 / $669
- Manuscripts 80–120k words: £599 / $799
- Manuscripts above 120k words: Please enquire
Please note: Manuscript critiques are not suitable for completely new writers. I will expect you to have a basic understanding of narrative technique and the terminology used for literary analysis (e.g. ‘narrative arc’, ‘point of view’, ‘show vs tell’, etc.) If you’ve never taken a writing class, been part of a writing group or read a book on writing craft, this service is not for you.