Terms & Conditions
The following terms and conditions are provided so you and I both have an upfront and honest understanding of what’s involved in the process of working together. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me so I can provide clarity or reassurance.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the Client (you) by me (Sophie Playle of Liminal Pages).
- I will provide editorial services agreed upon (in writing) by myself and the Client; the nature of the services I provide are as described on their respective pages on my website.
- The Client must send the project manuscript in its entirety, as a single document. The Client cannot make further changes to the manuscript once it has been sent.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not VAT-registered.
- The contract of service requires that the Client and I both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
Prior to commencement of the editing work, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project:
- the medium in which the service will be carried out (e.g. in Word, on paper)
- how the material will be annotated (e.g. Track Changes in Word, BSI correction symbols on paper)
- the length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me
- a fee for the project, based on a quotation supplied by me, in writing, following my evaluation of the material to be edited and the time frame required to complete the job
- any expenses (e.g. postage) that the Client will bear in addition to the costs of the editing
- the date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to me
- the latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client
Please note that if, on receipt of the project to be worked on (or at an early stage), it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief or from the sample supplied, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
- A quotation for fees is supplied after an evaluation of the materials and a discussion with the Client as to what is required.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per 1,000 words, OR an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior agreement.
- Once the Client and I have agreed the full fee, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count of the job or requests additional services. In this case, a revised quotation and job-completion date will be negotiated.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages, as agreed in advance.
- Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice immediately upon return of the completed project.
- Unless otherwise agreed at the outset, payment should be made within 21 days of receipt of invoice.
- Under the terms of the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998, I reserve the right to charge interest and compensation should payment exceed 30 days.
- If the project fee is more than £200, I require a deposit of 50% from new clients.
- At my discretion, I may ask for a 25% deposit (instead of a 50% deposit) from repeat clients.
- Deposit payments are due upon receipt of the deposit invoice.
- If a deposit is required, the agreed project schedule will not be fixed until the deposit amount is received.
- All deposits are non-refundable.
- This Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice (including email); I must acknowledge this cancelation in writing (including email) for this to be valid.
- The Client will remain obligated to pay a fee proportionate to the amount of work already completed (if any) if this amount is larger than the deposit paid.
- I may cancel a service at any time for any reason by providing written notice (including email) to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a service, I will provide a prorated refund of any overages of fees paid (including the deposit).
- All sales of digital products and courses are final.
- If in the unlikely event that the Client is touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g. family crisis, illness etc.), the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
- If I am touched by similar extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay, I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of editing services.
- The Client’s files will be kept confidential and will not be shared with anyone (other than the Client’s contractors, if necessary, with prior written permission).
- I will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorised to do so, in writing, by the Client.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the editing project is owned by the Client.
- In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
- Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the line and copy-editing process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
- The copyright of any content created by me as part of the manuscript critiquing process (including the report accompanying an Intensive Mini Edit) will remain mine. The Client may not share the content of these reports without prior written permission from Sophie Playle.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
- The exclusive venue for any arbitration or court proceeding based on or arising out of this Agreement shall be Hertfordshire, England.